About The Match2Match Series
Each volume is dedicated to a single season, with comprehensive coverage of first team and for the first time, line-ups of the Reserve and Junior teams.
The books are written by Paul Nagel, with Tony Park providing a valuable contribution on the reserve and junior sides. The book design, by Tim Ashmore, is inspired by United's iconic match programme from the Fifties and early Sixties, and sized accordingly (148mm x 210mm).
The books follow a yearbook format; each has a soft cover and is perfect bound, with an average of 190 pages.
Each volume includes sections covering:
- A preview of the season covering the major issues in the game, tactical developments, the transfer market and a profile of the main title cotenders
- The career details of the playing staff at Old Trafford at the start of the season and the players bought and sold during the course of the campaign
- Match reports and comprehensive statistics (formations, line-ups, scorers, attendance etc.) for each first team game
- Weekly results round up and league table
- United's team and a brief match report for the first team friendlies
- Profiles of the leading players at the club, their statistics for the season and a summary of their performances
- Results from the Reserves and junior sides ('A' and 'B' teams) with line-ups and scorers
- Full statistical details and a brief match report on Youth Cup ties
- Details of all International and Inter League games in which United player's featured
- A list of United's televised games during the course of the season
The Match2Match volumes are not published in chronological order. Although our aim is to produce three or four voulmes a year this is entirely dependent on the research. The biggest problem is confirming the line-ups for the 'A' and 'B' team games, and for a handful of games it proves to be impossible. Only when every source has been exhausted do we publish.
Please register as a subscriber to ensure you receive each new book on it's publication date - and at a discount of 25%.
Sample pages from the books:
Graphics are used in each volume to illustrate the tactical formations utilised by United during the course of the season. We will also occassionally include specially commissioned images, such as Neil Howard's four images of Old Trafford as it was in 1962. The four images can be purchased from Neil's LoStadio Illustration website.
Each Subscription Edition comes with a personalised and numbered certificate.
4-3-3: United's default formation from the mid Sixties until Busby's retirement.
4-4-1: United's formation in the games against Gornik and Real Madrid in 1968.
The Stretford End in 1962, one of four drawings by Neil Howard.